Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Little Piece of history...

One of the things I love most about hunting for vintage items is: you never know what you're going to find. I was feeling inspired to shop today, so I went to a couple of my favorite spots with no luck. There wasn't one single interesting item begging for me to take it home with me so I decided to call it a day. At the last minute I changed my mind and took a detour to swing by my favorite flea market.

This old doctor's bag was the first thing I picked up. It had a sign on it that said "Fragile. Do not open." I thought it looked really cool and the price was right, in fact, it was on sale! I decided that I had to have it.
When I got home I set my bags down, put my keys and sunglasses away, and started checking my email when I noticed that the bag had cracked itself open when I set it down. I had to peek inside. I couldn't believe what I saw. I carefully pried the bag open and the first thing I saw was the word "Nazi". I had to do a double take! That was the last thing I had expected to see at the bottom of a doctor's bag.

I ran to my sister and asked her to help me hold the bag open so I could carefully remove the newspaper from the bottom of it. I can't describe the overwhelming feeling I get when I discover something special like this. Its a mix of adrenaline, excitement, disbelief, amazement...this is a piece of history. Its a newspaper from April 15th, 1941 with the headline BRITISH REEL UNDER NAZI ATTACKS.
 I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I am certainly going to make sure that it is properly preserved.  It is slightly yellowed, but aside from that and a little frayed edge, its in excellent condition. Its almost as if it was delivered to a house and the doctor needed something to line the bottom of his bag so he stuck it in there. How could he possibly know that it would stay in there for 70 years only to be discovered by me...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's such an amazing find! Holy cow - what a surprise!

- Lindsay

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...